India to join Moscow meet on Afghanistan
- India is among six nations participating in a conference on Afghanistan’s future in Moscow two months after Russia hosted a similar conference with only China and Pakistan.
- After India and particularly Afghanistan objected to being cut out of the discussion, Moscow agreed to expand its ambit, announcing a six-nation conference of;
5. China and
- To begin with, India is increasingly uncomfortable with Russia’s overtures to Pakistan on defence issues.
- Significantly, Russia did not join the;
2. U.K. and
in sponsoring a resolution against Jaish chief Masood Azhar at the U.N. sanctions committee last month, a resolution which China then put a hold on.
- Russia has been seen as favouring a softer line on the Taliban as a counter to the spread of Islamic State (IS) in Afghanistan.
- Russia and China have also been coordinating to demand the delisting of senior Taliban leaders designated as terrorists by the U.N. sanctions committee.
Quick Question for Bank PO/ IBPS Exams 2016-17:
Which new country is among the six nations participating in a conference on Afghanistan’s future in Moscow two months after Russia hosted a similar conference?