- Singapore Airlines has been rated as the world’s best airline in a survey by the Travel + Leisure (T+L) magazine.
- Top 5 Airlines as per T&L Magazine
- Singapore Airlines
Online Current Affairs based on Awards/Honors
Former glamour model Katie Price has unveiled the cover for her next novel “Playing With Fire”, which will be available later this year
- The 39-year-old television personality took to social media to share a first glimpse of the artwork for her 11th novel, which she announced would hit shelves on October 19, reported Contactmusic.
- Sharing an image of the artwork – which features the figure of a woman in a sequined dress with long brunette tresses looking out over a city skyline – on both Instagram and Twitter, Katie wrote, “Excited to reveal the cover of my new novel, PLAYING WITH FIRE, out on October 19. You can pre- order now.”
IIFA Awards 2017: Complete List
- The 18th edition of the International Indian Film Academy Awards was held in New York.
- Sonam Kapoor’s film Neerja won the best film award. Actor Shahid Kapoor earned the Best Actor award for his role in Udta Punjab, while Alia Bhatt won the Best Actor (Female) award for the same film.
- Here’s the complete list of the IIFA 2017 winners:
Best Film: Neerja,
Best Director: AnirudhRoy Chaudhary for Pink,
Best Actor (Male): Shahid Kapoor for Udta Punjab,
Best Actor (Female): Alia Bhatt for Udta Punjab,
Best Actor in Supporting Role (Female): Shabana Azmi for Neerja,
Best Actor in Supporting Role (Male): Anupam Kher for MS Dhoni: The Untold Story,
Best Debutant (Female): Disha Patani for M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story,
Best Lyricist: Amitabh Bhattacharya for the song Channa Mere Ya,
Best Playback Singer (Male): Amit Mishra for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil,
Best Playback Singer (Female): Kanika Kapoor for Udta Punjab, Tulsi Kumar for Airlift,
Best Music Direction: Pritam for Ae Dil Hai Mushkil,
Best Actor In Comic Role: Varun Dhawan for Dishoom,
Myntra Style Icon Award: Alia Bhatt,
IIFA Woman Of The Year: Tapsee Pannu.
Film Baahubali and ISRO honored at TIMES NOW ICICI Bank NRI of the Year Awards 2017
- TIMES NOW and ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, jointly hosted the fourth edition of ‘TIMES NOW ICICI Bank NRI of the Year Awards powered by Global Indian International School’
- List of Winners 2017;
1. Global Indian Impact Icon: Baahubali –Tamannaah Bhatia and V Vijayendra Prasad (writer of Baahubali), India.
2. India’s Global Icon: Shri A. S. Kiran Kumar, India.
3. Global Indian Award – Science: Dr. Mylswamy Annadurai, India; Dr Koppillil Radhakrishnan, India.
4.Global Indian Award – Sports: Pankaj Advani, India.
5. Academics: Suresh Bhargava, Asia Pacific; Shinjini Kundu, USA; Simran Vedvyas, Middle East; Abhinav Singla, Middle East.
Kishore Sansi, Managing Director and CEO of Vijaya Bank, has been conferred the ‘Personality of the Year’ award by Skoch Consultancy Services
- The award is part of the ‘Skoch Banking and Financial Leadership’ series. Past recipients of the award include C Rangarajan, Dilip Parekh and Nandan Nilekani.
Maya, a Bengaluru-based mobile app that helps women track their menstrual cycles, won the Asia Pacific App of the Year at FbStart Apps of the Year awards announced by Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg
- FbStart was launched in 2014 to help mobile startups grow. Each year startups get support from Facebook employees and discounts on services from companies like Amazon.com, Dropbox, and UserTesting that help them run their businesses.
- Women all around the world use Maya The App, this year’s Asia-Pacific App of the Year. It’s helped seven million women stay on top of their health by tracking their menstrual cycles, setting health reminders, monitoring pregnancies and getting in touch with doctors – all from their phones.
- Maya was founded in India in 2014. It’s now available in 14 languages and has been downloaded across 190 countries
Climate and energy efficiency solutions company Danfoss India won Golden Peacock Environment Management Award for Environment Management
- The award was presented here during the 19th World Congress on Environment Management’ in the presence of Supreme Court Justice Kurien Joseph.
- Acknowledging its commitment towards the environment, the company has been recognised for its LEED Platinum rated constructed manufacturing facility in Chennai.
- Danfoss’s commitment towards sustainable development via its energy-efficient products, green initiatives at the Oragadam campus and its ongoing pan India CSR Programmes driving Sustainability are some the key contributing factors for the award.
Tata Steel has won the Prime Minister’s trophy for being the best performing integrated steel plant in the country during 2014-15 and 2015-16
- “Tata Steel Ltd has been declared as the winner of Prime Minister’s trophy for ‘Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant’ in the country for the performance years 2014-2015 and 2015- 16.
- This makes it the third consecutive-year for the firm to be honoured with this coveted award.
- Tata Steel Group is among the top 10 global steel companies with an annual crude steel capacity of 27.5 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) as on March 31, 2017.
PV Sindhu won ‘Maruti Suzuki Sportsperson of the Year’ award by Sports Illustrated (SI) India Magazine.
1. Special award for service to sports: Jayant Rastogi, CEO – Magic Bus (presented by Ms Parineeta Sethi and Simon Clays).
2. Team of the year: Jr. Hockey Team- Captain Harjeet Singh.
3. Coach of the year: Pullela Gopichand
Editor’s Award for excellence: Devendra Jhajharia.
4. Editor’s Award for excellence: Mariyappan Thangavelu.
5. Editor’s Award for excellence: Varun Bhati.
6. Outstanding Contribution to sports: K Arumugam.
7. Athlete of the year: Gaurav Gill.
8. Gamechanger of the year: K.L Rahul.
9. Extreme Performer of the year: Shiva Keshavan.
10. Lifetime Achievement Award: Abhinav Bindra.
11. Inspirational athlete of the year: Deepa Malik.
12. Living Legend: Milkha Singh
Indian-origin Guruswamy Jayraman has been awarded with Order of Australia for his community work.
- He works as a senior accountant with Woollahra Municipal Council for a living and has been devoting most of his spare time in community work for the last 25 years.
- Jayraman has received a number of awards, such as;
1. Outstanding Services to Older Citizens Award from the Auburn Council (2011),
2. Service to the Indian Community and Seniors by the India Independence & Australia Day Celebration Committee (2010) and
3. Community Services award from GOPIO Sydney (2012).
Writer Preeti Shenoy won Indian of the Year award by Brands Academy
- Shenoy, who is one of India’s top five highest selling women authors, was awarded on Friday by Brands Academy, one of the most reputed branding companies in India to recognise the achievements of personalities who have contributed towards building up the reputation of the country.
- Other prominent winners along with Shenoy included;
1. Deepa Malik (Paralympics Gold Winner),
2. Kavita Krishnamurthy (Singer) and
3. Ranveer Brar (Celebrity Chef and TV Host).
Adobe chief Shantanu Narayen and former US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy will be honoured with Great Immigrants Award for their role in helping advance the country’s society.
- Indian-Americans, Adobe chief Shantanu Narayen and former US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, are among 38 immigrants to be honoured this year for their role in helping advance the country’s society.
- Shantanu Narayen and Vivek Murthy will be honoured with the prestigious ‘Great Immigrants’ annual award on US’s Independence Day on July 4.
Telangana IPS Officer Mahesh Muralidhar Bhagwat won 2017 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report Heroes Award from US State Department for his fight against human trafficking in India.
- Mahesh Muralidhar Bhagwat, currently Rachakonda Police Commissioner, has been conferred with the 2017 Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report Heroes Award by the US state department.
- Mr Bhagwat is the third IPS officer to get the honour.
Saint Teresa’s blue-bordered sari has been considered as an Intellectual Property of the Missionaries of Charity.
- The famous blue-bordered sari of Mother Teresa, who has been canonised as Saint Teresa of Calcutta by the Vatican, has been recognised as an Intellectual Property of the Missionaries of Charity.
Lipstick Under My Burkha Will Be The Opening Film At The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2017
- The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2017 has selected Lipstick Under My Burkha as its opening film for 2017.
- Though this film has won critical acclaim at various festivals across the globe, back home it has turned out to be the most controversial films of the year even before its theatrical release.
SIERRA ODC building in Coimbatore gets world’s second highest green rating with an emphasis on increasing the efficiency of resources
- SIERRA ODC building looks like any other IT office building from the outside. No posh or massive structure, but if you enter the office complex of this Coimbatore-based IT solutions company, you will realise what the so-called “Green Building” means and is much talked about.
- The building incidentally has been recognised as the world’s second highest ranking Green Building, with a score of 103 out of 110 under LEED certification.
- “The three-storeyed building has been designed and constructed with an emphasis on increasing the efficiency of resource use — be it energy, water or materials, while reducing its impact on human health and the environment through its entire life cycle.
Health Ministry’s mobile app eVIN wins GSMA Asia Mobile Award for outstanding contribution to the UN’s sustainable development goals
- Indigenously developed mobile application for digitising vaccine logistics, eVIN, has won the prestigious GSMA Asia Mobile Award 2017 (AMO) for outstanding contribution to the UN’s sustainable development goals in Asia.
- The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is an online real-time vaccine logistics management system developed and implemented by the Ministry of Health and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- eVIN is presently being implemented across 12 states in the country and aims to support the government’s Universal Immunization Programme by providing real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in these states.
U’khand won award of excellence at 2nd Global Skill Development Summit (Paris) for innovations and extensive use of IT for skilling the state’s youth.
- Uttarakhand was conferred with the award of excellence at the 2nd Global Skill Development Summit held in Paris recently for innovations and extensive use of IT for skilling the state’s youth.
- Project Director of Uttarakhand Skill Development Committee Pankaj Kumar Pandey received the honour.
Oxford poet Dr Padmesh Gupta was honoured with Padmabhushan Moturi Satyanarayana award from the President of India.
- An Oxford poet has been honoured with a national award by the Indian Government for promoting Hindi literature abroad.
- Dr Padmesh Gupta, who is also the director of Oxford Business College, was given the Padmabhushan Moturi Satyanarayana award from the President of India last month.
- It recognises his commitment to promoting and propagating his native Hindi with poetry he has published.
Indian astrologer and numerologist TS Vineeth Bhatt conferred with the ‘best astrologer of world’ award at the ‘Russian-Indian economic dialogue’ in Moscow.
- Hyderabad based astrologer and numerologist TS Vineeth Bhatt has been conferred with the ‘Best astrologer of the world’ award at the ‘Russian-Indian economic dialogue’ round-table meet held in Moscow.
- Bhatt, 37, is from Kerala and lives in Bowenpally. Three generations of his family have been practising astrology.
Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej and Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveries won USIBC Global Leadership Awards.
- Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej and Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveries have been awarded the Global Leadership Awards of the US-India Business Council for their role in integrating India in the global supply chain.
- Both were honored for creating inclusive business environments, integrating India in the global supply chain and advancing core values such as manufacturing, innovation and scale in tough market conditions.
Dhanraj Pillay to be awarded Bharat Gaurav – East Bengal’s highest honour that will be held on August 1st.
- Former India hockey captain Dhanraj Pillay will be awarded East Bengal football club’s highest honour – Bharat Gaurav on their foundation day.
- The ceremony will be held on August 1.He made his international hockey debut in 1989 in Allwyn Asia Cup. He led India to Asian Games glory in 1998 and also won the Asia Cup in 2003.
Dehradun girl Bhumika Sharma is the Miss World in Bodybuilding title 2017 which was held in Venice.
- Dehradun girl Bhumika Sharma is a girl with muscle power who ruled at the World Bodybuilding Championship in Venice.
- She made India proud after acing all the important rounds. She gained the maximum number of points in body posing, individual posing and fall category.
Vijaya Bank bags nine Skoch Awards in the category of Best Bank in Public Sector; Best Bank for NPA Management etc.
- The bank received awards in the following categories —
Best Bank in Public Sector;
Best Bank for NPA Management,
Retail Lending; Inclusive Wallet,
e-Surveillance of ATMs and branches; and 100 Digital Villages – Financial Inclusion.
- The bank’s Executive Director B. S. Rama Rao received the NPA Management Award (individual category) from Sameer Kochhar, Chairman, Skoch Group at Mumbai.
Azim Premji honoured with Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy 2017 award for his efforts to reform public school system in India.
- Wipro Chairman Azim Premji is among the honorees of this year’s Carnegie Medal, considered the most prestigious prize in Philanthropy. The award has been given to him for his efforts to reform public school system in India.
- Premji, 70, who founded the Azim Premji Foundation, is among the nine philanthropists named recipients of the 2017 Medal of Philanthropy.
Haryana girl Manushi Chhillar is 54th Femina Miss India World 2017 and runner up is Sana Dua from Jammu and Kashmir.
- The 54th Femina Miss India World 2017 winner is Manushi Chhillar from Haryana, while the first runner-up is Sana Dua from Jammu and Kashmir and the second runner-up is Priyanka Kumari from Bihar.
- The event was held at Yash Raj Studios in Mumbai.
UN honours Mamata Banerjee with highest public service award for girl child project Kanyashree
- In a major boost to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s pet project ‘Kanyashree’, the United Nations today accorded its highest award for public service to the West Bengal government for the scheme initiated to empower the girl child with education.
- The project was launched in 2011 soon after Mamata Banerjee came to power and has helped more than 40 lakh female students in the state.
- ‘Kanyashree’ was ranked the best among 552 such social sector schemes from across 62 countries that were nominated for the coveted award. The award was presented at the World Public Service Forum by UN Assistant Secretary General at a ceremony in Hague in Netherlands.
Wipro Chairman Azim Premji honoured with Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy
- Wipro Chairman Azim Premji is among the honorees of this years Carnegie Medal, considered the most prestigious prize in Philanthropy, for his efforts to reform Indias public school system.
- Premji, 70, who founded the Azim Premji Foundation, is among the nine philanthropists named recipients of the 2017 Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy in “recognition of their outstanding and innovative leadership in philanthropy.”
Intellecap CEO Nisha Dutt gets “Social Entrepreneur of the Year” award at The 7th Asian Awards in London
- Nisha Dutt, Chief Executive Officer of Hyderabad-based Intellecap has been honoured with the “Social Entrepreneur of the Year” award at The 7th Asian Awards in London.
- She is the first Indian woman leader to have been conferred with this recognition.
- This award has been presented to her for leading Intellecap to become a globally known enterprise that focuses on social capital and impacts the under served communities.
CM Naveen Patnaik confirmed Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence to the scientist Lalit Mohan Das
- The prestigious Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence, 2014 was conferred on scientist Lalit Mohan Das for his outstanding contribution to science.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik gave away the award to Das at a function organised by Odisha Bigyan Academy (OBA) here. The award carries a cash prize of `2 lakh.