- On the tributary of which river has Rihand Dam been constructed ?
- AGMARK is
(1) a cooperative for egg production
(2) regulated agricultural market
(3) farmers' cooperative
(4) a quality guarantee stamp for commodities
- The decline of Indian Handicrafts industry in the 19th century was attributed to
(1) competition from British manufacturing industries only
(2) disappearance of Indian Princely Courts only
(3) establishment of alien rule only
(4) All of the above
- The Industrial Revolution in England represented the climax of the transition from
(1) slavery to feudalism
(2) feudalism to capitalism
(3) capitalism to socialism
(4) socialism to market socialism
- When was the Minimum Wages Act enacted in India ?
- The International Court of Justice sits in
(2) The Hague
- What can the President do if a State fails to comply with the Directives of the Central Government ?
(1) He can dissolve State Legislature and order fresh elections
(2) He can declare the breakdown of constitutional machinery in the State and assume responsibility for the governance of the.State
(3) He can send paramilitary forces to the State to secure compliance
(4) Any of the above
- In which State of India, was a non-Congress government formed for the the first time ?
(1) West Bengal
(2) Tamil Nadu
- When did the Soviet Union disintegrate Into 15 independent Republics ?
- Why was the Simon Commission boycotted by the Indians ?
(1) It did not include any Indian as a member
(2) It did not have any woman member
(3) It was appointed before the stipulated time
(4) It refused to meet prominent Indian leaders
- The declaration of Constitutional Emergency in an Indian State has to be approved by the Parliament within a period of
(1) 2 months
(2) 4 months
(3) 6 months
(4) 12 months
- The number of subjects in the Union List of the Indian Constitution is
- Who among the following started the first newspaper in India?
(2) W.C. Bonnerjee
(3) Rabindranath Tagore
(4) James A. Hickey
- Who founded the Servants of India Society ?
(2) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
(3) B.G. Tilak
(4) Swami Dayanand Saraswati
- English education was introduced in India by
(1) Lord Curzon
(2) Jawaharlal Nehru
(3) Lord Macaulay
(4) Lord Dalhousie
- Name the important French possession in India.
- As per provisions of the Charter Act of 1833, a Law Commission (for consolidating, codifying and improving Indian laws) was constituted under the Chairmanship of
(1) Lord Bentinck
(2) Raja Rammohan Roy
(3) Lord Macaulay
(4) Lord Dalhousie
- Who was the first Indian to become member of British Parliament ?
(1) W.C. Bonnerjee
(2) Behramji M. Malabari
(3) D.N. Wacha
(4) Dadabhai Naoroji
- The length of India's coastline is about
(1) 4900 kms
(2) 5700 kms
(3) 7500 kms
(4) 8300 kms
- Which one of the following is the second highest peak of the world ?
(4) Nanda Devi
- What is the approximate length of Konkan Railway ?
(1) 580 kms
(2) 760 kms
(3) 940 kms
(4) 1050 kms
- Which one of the following coasts of India is most affected by violent tropical cyclones ?
- The largest freshwater lake in the world is
(1) Lake Victoria
(2) Lake Michigan
(3) Lake Balkhash
(4) Lake Superior
- In the world, India tops in the production of
- Which breed of the following buffalo breeds is found in the South-Western part of Gujarat ?
- Which one of the following is the first National Park of India ?
(1) Corbett National Park
(2) Bandipur National Park
(3) Kanha National Park
- The colour of the eye depends upon the pigment present in
- The ability of the eye to see in the dark, is due to the production of a purple pigment known as
- Which of the following statements is true ?
(1) Dehusked cereals and pulses are more nutritious
(2) Whole grain cereals and pulses are more nutritious
(3) Processed cereal products are nutrient dense
(4) Breakfast cereals are nutrient dense
- Which of the following animals is dumb ?
- The sky appears blue because
(1) all colours interfere to produce blue
(2) in white light, the blue component dominates
(3) the atmosphere scatters blue colour more than the others
(4) it is actually blue
- The device in communication satellites which receives signals from an earth station and transmits them to different directions is
- When a ship enters the sea from a river
(1) it rises a little
(2) it sinks a little
(3) it remains at the same level
(4) it rises or sinks depending on the material it Is made of
- Two stones of unequal masses are thrown vertically up with the same velocity. Which of the following will happen ?
(1) The heavier mass will reach greater height
(2) The lighter mass will reach greater height
(3) Both will reach the same height
(4) Any of them may reach greater height
- The substance that is added to make natural rubber strong and more bouncy is
- Kaiga-11 plant which supplies electricity is a
(1) hydel project
(2) coal project
(3) nuclear power reactor
(4) None of the above
- The vitamin most readily destroyed by heat is
(2) Ascorbic acid
- White phosphorus is always kept under
- Which of the following pairs is incorrect ?
(1) Pannalal Ghosh - Flute
(2) Guru Gopi Krishna - Kathak
(3) Nilchil Banerjee - Santoor
(4) Nandlal Bose - Painting
- Ebrahim Alkazi is well-known presonality from the field of
(1) Folk dance
(4) None of the above
- Which of the following volcanoes is situated in Mexico ?
- Sea water can be purified by the process of
(4) Fractional distillation
- Which of the following is a cold ocean current ?
(1) Humboldt current
(2) Brazil current
(3) Oyashio current
(4) Canary current
- Which one of the following does not deal with export promotion ?
(1) Trade Development Authority
(2) Minerals and Metals Trading Corporation
(3) Cooperative Marketing Societies
(4) State Trading Corporation of India
- Which of the following sets belongs to Central tax ?
(1) Excise duty, Sales tax and Custom duty
(2) Excise duty, Custom duty and Income tax
(3) Income tax, Custom duty and House tax
(4) Custom duty, Entertainment tax and Income tax
- Who is the author of the book " To A Hunger Free World" ?
(1) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
(2) Amartya Sen
(3) M.S. Swaminathan
(4) Montek Singh Ahluwalia
- World Trade Organization (WO) was started in the year
- Who said "Patriotism is religion and religion is love for India" ?
(1) Raj Narain Bose
(2) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(3) Swami Vivekananda
(4) Acharya Vinoba Bhave
- Which one of the following is not a vaccine ?
(3) Polio vaccine
- The scientist who first sent electromagnetic waves to distant places is
(1) James Clerk Maxwell
(2) Heinrich Hertz
(3) Thomas Alva Edison
(4) John Logic Baird