GENERAL AWARENESS (RBI GRADE ‘B’ OFFICER’S EXAM, 25-08-2013- Previous Year Paper )
- U.K. Sinha, who was in the recent news, is the Chairman of
(1) Planning Commission of India
(2) Securities and Exchange Board of India
(3) Competition Commission of India
(4) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority
(5) Forwards Market Commission
- Which of the following does not correctly describe NABARD?
(1) It is an apex development bank
(2) Its headquarters is based in New Delhi
(3) It was established in 1982 by a special act by the parliament
(4) It is active in developing financial inclusion policy
(5) It is responsible for credit flow for elevation of agriculture & rural non farm sector
- Who among the following was recently appointed as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India?
(1) K C Chakrabarty
(2) Uhjit Patel
(3) Raghuram Rajan
(4) Anand Sinha
(5) H.R. Khan
- To which country does Muhammad Yunus, who developed the concepts of microcredit and microfinance, belong?
- Which of the following does not correctly explain the market practice of Insider Trading?
(1) It is the trading of a public company’s stock
(2) It is the trading of bonds or stock options by individuals with access to non-public information about the company
(3) Matters related to insider trading in India are dealt by Forward Market Commission
(4) Insider trading in India is governed by the Prohibition of Insider Trading regulations 1992
(5) None of these
- Which of the following has the authority to appoint Banking Ombudsman in India?
(5) Ministry of Finance, Government of India
- Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram recently asked Public sector banks of India to set up ATMs in all branches by
(1) December 2013
(2) January 2014
(3) March 2014
(4) October 2014
(5) January 2015
- Which of the following companies manufacture Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) in India?
(1) Bharat Electronics Limited
(2) Electronics Corporation of India
(3) Hindustan Machine Tool and
(4) Steel Authority of India Limited
(5) Both 1 and 2
- Which of the following, in the banking sector, measures the ability of a company to meet its short term debt obligations?
(1) Current ratio
(2) Acid test ratio
(3) Cash ratio
(4) Working capital ratio
(5) All of the above
- The Reserve Bank of India recently barred from disbursing loans against gold coins weighing more than
(1) 10 gram
(2) 25 gram
(3) 50 gram
(4) 100 gram
(5) 122 gram
- Who has authored the novel, titled ‘Half Life’?
(1) Shelley Jackson
(2) Vikram Seth
(3) Hillary Clinton
(4) Lisa Ray
(5) Angelina Jolie
- Which of the following is correct regarding the Securities Transaction Tax?
(1) It is not applicable on off-market transactions
(2) It is not applicable on commodity transactions
(3) It is not applicable on currency transactions
(4) It was originally introduced in 2004
(5) All of the above
- Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding FDI or FII stake in any company?
(1) Less than 10 per cent stake in a company is treated as FDI under international classification
(2) More than 10 per cent stake in a company is treated as FII under international
(3) FDI entities have greater powers in terms of share transactions and voting rights in comparison to FII
(4) FIIs are allowed to conduct private transactions, while FDIs are not
(5) All of the above
- Every commercial bank in India have to maintain liquid assets such as precious metals (gold) or other approved securities as reserves other than the cash. This is known as Statutory Liquidity Ratio. What is its present rate?
(1) 40 per cent
(2) 32 per cent
(3) 25 per cent
(4) 23 per cent
(5) 18 per cent
- The government is giving a fresh push to its flagship rural employment scheme ahead of the general elections, providing additional funds to four states. Which one is not among those states?
(1) Uttar Pradesh
- What is the standard weight in which gold is quoted in the international market?
(3) Troy ounce
- Who heads the Committee on Insurance Broking which was in news recently?
(1) Abhijit Sen
(2) Suresh Mathur
(3) Anil Pradhan
(4) Ketan Agarwal
(5) Dinesh Avasthi
- Mr. Anil Khatri filed a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman. However, he is not satisfied with the decision of the Ombudsman. Whom can he approach now for the redressal of his grievance?
(1) Chief Justice of respective High Court
(2) Banking Ombudsman Tribunal
(3) Governor of Reserve Bank of India
(4) Supreme Court of India
(5) Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India
- What is the name of a path-breaking initiative by the Government and the Indian Banks’ Association which promises to bring basic banking services to 73,000 unbanked villages with a population of 2,000 and above?
- In which state of India is the Koyna Hydroelectric Power project located?
(3) Andhra Pradesh
- Which of the following categories does not come under Priority Sector Lending in India?
(3) Export credit
(5) Micro and Small Enterprises
- What was the number of banking licence applicants before the reserve Bank of India for opening of new banks by 31 May 2013?
- As per a new circular by the Reserve Bank of India in July 2013, for High Risk Customers/entities, Banks will now be required to update KYC data only once in
(1) 1 month
(2) 3 months
(3) 6 months
(4) 1 year
(5) 2 years
- To whom is the Pre-Shipment Finance given in India?
(1) Aviation companies
(3) Stock Market Brokers
(5) Individuals with CIBIL rank above 850
- With which of the following countries is the Nifty Index associated?
(4) The Netherlands
- The abbreviation RIDF stands for
(1) Rural Infrastructure Development Fund
(2) Rural Investment for Development of Farming
(3) Rate In Diligent Firm
(4) Rural India’s Direct Fund
(5) None of these
- In which month of the year is Income Tax Return filed in India where the assessee is a Company?
- With which sport is Akshay B. Gaikwad associated?
- The ‘Father of Mouse’ died recently. Who was he?
(1) Paul L. Morton
(2) Douglas Engelbart
(3) Eileen Clegg
(4) Alan Kay
(5) John R. Woodward
- On which day is the World Consumer Rights Day celebrated across the world?
(1) 14 January
(2) 15 March
(3) 8 April
(4) 1 July
(5) 5 August
- The document which specifies the internal operations of a company is known as
(1) Audit Report
(2) Assessment Report
(3) Article of Association
(4) Operational Synopsis
- With reference to the Swadhar Scheme, who among the following is/are not its beneficiaries?
(1) Women victims of terrorist/ extremist violence
(2) Widows deserted by their families
(3) Women subject to domestic violence
(4) Women survivors of natural disaster
(5) Women with HIV/AIDS deserted by their family
- Which of the following companies has maximum shareholding in the India Mortgage
Guarantee Corporation (IMGC)?
(1) National Housing Bank
(3) Asian Development Bank
(4) International Finance Corporation
(5) World Bank
- The Reserve Bank recently released the final guidelines for issuing of new banking licences. As per these guidelines, foreign shareholding in the new bank for the first five years will be up to
(1) 16 per cent
(2) 33 per cent
(3) 49 per cent
(4) 51 per cent
(5) 64 per cent
- Which term is used to describe a situation where an inflation rate is high, the economic growth rate slows down, and unemployment remains steadily high?
(5) Running inflation
- Which of the following is not correct regarding the Reverse Repo Rate?
(1) It is the rate at which commercial banks borrow money from Reserve Bank of India
(2) It is a monetary policy instrument
(3) An increase in the reverse repo rate will decrease the money supply
(4) Both 2 and 3
(5) None of these
- Which measure is used by the Reserve Bank of India to buy or sell government bonds or other securities in open market?
(1) Rationing of Credit
(2) Direct Action
(3) Consumer Credit Regulation
(4) Statutory Liquidity Ratio
(5) Open Market Operations
- Who among the following is the Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation?
(1) Ranjit Sinha
(2) Amar Pratap Singh
(3) U.S. Misra
(4) RK. Raghavan
(5) P.C. Sharma
- Who among the following is the recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi National Sadhbhavna Award 2013?
(1) A.R. Rahman
(2) D.R. Mehta
(3) Amjad All Khan
(4) Yash Chopra
(5) Shiv Kumar Sharma
- Who is appointed as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States of America?
(1) Treasury Secretary of the United States
(2) A member of the Board of Governors of the federal Reserve Bank
(3) A former Governor on the board of the International Monetary Fund
(4) Anyone having expertise in the field of finance and social service
(5) None of these
- Which term is generally used for an Insurance Broker?
(3) Liaison Officer
- What is the expanded form of VAT?
(1) Value Additional Tariff
(2) Varying Actual Tax
(3) Variable Aviation Tariff
(4) Value Added Tax
(5) Variable Accounting Tax
- Biocon is a
(1) Fertilizer company
(2) Gas company
(3) Hydro Power company
(4) Pharmaceutical company
(5) Water Harvesting company
- Which is the designated body for creating the necessary infrastructure to ensure KYC compliance for the Mutual Fund Industry?
- Under the Senior Citizens Savings Scheme, 2004, what was the tenure of the deposit account?
(1) 1 year
(2) 2 years
(3) 3 years
(4) 5 years
(5) 7 years
- The government recently approved liberalisation of FDI norms in a dozen of sectors. In this context, which global supermarket chain has been allowed to set up cold storages and warehouses in the country?
(1) Wal-Mart Stores
(3) Sub Way
(4) Nestle Inc
(5) Only 1 and 2
- Which Internet giant recently bought the micro-blogging and social networking website Tumblf?
- The Government of India recently launched a nation- wide campaign ‘Tears you apart” to raise awareness on
(2) Smokeless Tobacco
(3) Female Infanticide
(4) Global Warming and Climate Change
(5) The Landslide in Uttarakhand which led to human tragedy
- Accounting practices that follow required laws and regulations, but deviate from what those standards intend to accomplish, are known as
(1) Imaginative accounting
(2) Creative accounting
(3) Innovative accounting
(4) Window dressing
(5) Aesthetic accounting
- Which of the following countries has the highest population density in the world?
- Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding the issuance of Tax Free Bonds in India?
(1) They usually pay lower coupons than corporate bonds
(2) They enjoy a better credit rating than corporate bonds
(3) They are generally issued by government backed entities
(4) The interest received on these bonds is tax-free
(5) All of these
- When a payment is made through RTGS/NEFT, the customer/remitter receives an acknowledgement of the payment made. What is the fog in of that acknowled-gement?
(1) Download able acknowledgement slip from the Reserve Bank of India website
(4) Both 2 and 3
(5) All of 1, 2 and 3
- The Monetary Policy Statement 2013-14, released by the Reserve Bank of India on 3 May 2013, expressed concerns over Current Account Deficit (CAD) as the biggest risk to Indian economy. What percentage of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was comprised by CAD in Quarter 3 (December quarter) of 2012-2013?
(1) 4.2 per cent
(2) 5.1 per cent
(3) 5.9 per cent
(4) 6.2 per cent
(5) 6.7 per cent
- W itch telecom company of India provides networking services in Africa?
(1) Bharti Airtel
(2) Tata Teleservices
(3) Vodafone India
(4) Reliance Communications
(5) Idea Cellular
- As per the revised estimates of poverty line in India which were released in July 2013, what was the percentage of people below poverty line in the country as a whole in 20112012?
(1) 15.3 per cent
(2) 21.9 per cent
(3) 25.7 per cent
(4) 37.2 per cent
(5) 41.8 per cent
- The Prime Minister of China paid a three-day visit to India in May 2013. Who is he?
(1) Li Peng
(2) Zhu Rongji
(3) Wen Jiabao
(4) Li Keqiang
(5) Hua Guofeng
- Which of the following statements is/are not correct regarding Headline Inflation in India?
(1) It is a measure of the total inflation within an economy
(2) It doesn’t take account of service sector
(3) It differs from core inflation
(4) It is also known as underlying inflation
(5) Wholesale Price Index is considered as the headline inflation indicator in India
- What does ALM stand for in the banking industry?
(1) Application Lifecycle Management
(2) Asset Liability Management
(3) Application for Loan Management
(4) Asset Loss Management
(5) None of these
- The full form of IFSC is
(1) Indian Financial System Code
(2) Instant Fund for System Change
(3) Internet Foreign Sales Code
(4) Indian Foreign Service Compliance
(5) Indian Forward Securities Commission
- Oscar Award winning movie ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ was an adaptation of the novel Q & A. who authored this novel?
(1) Arundhati Ghosh
(2) Jhumpa Lahiri
(3) Chetan Bhagat
(4) Vikas Swarup
(5) Kaushal Kishore
- In which country is the Bank for International Settlements located?
(1) United States of America
- Which of the following countries/regional group has the highest Foreign Exchange Reserves?
(3) United States of America
(5) Saudi Arabia
- For which movie did Vidya Balan win the IIFA Awards 2013 for Best Actress ln A Leading Role?
(1) Dirty Picture
- Starting 1 June 2013, the tax deducted at source has been applicable on the value of transfer of immovable property worth_____ and above.
(1) Rs. 5 lath
(2) Rs. 10 lakh
(3) Rs. 25 lath
(4) Rs 50 lakh
(5) Rs. 1 crore
- When a bank deposits a fake note to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the amount paid by RBI to the bank is
(1) 5 per cent of the amount of the fake note
(2) 10 per cent of the amount of the fake note
(3) 18 per cent of the amount of the fake note
(4) 25 per cent of the amount of the fake note
(5) 33 per cent of the amount of the fake note
- At which place is the National Defence Academy located?
- Which derivative instrument is used by foreign investors who wish to invest in India?
- Who among the following is the Chief Economist of the World Bank?
(1) Parthasarathi Shome
(2) Vijay Kelkar
(3) Kaushik Basu
(4) Raghuram Rajan
(5) Amartya Sen
- What is the name of the central bank of Pakistan?
(1) Reserve Bank of Pakistan
(2) State Bank of Pakistan
(3) Federal Bank of Pakistan
(4) Federal Reserve Bank of Pakistan
(5) Central Reserve Bank of Pakistan
- The system of cheque clearing and settlement between banks based on electronic data/images or both without physical exchange of instrument is known as
(1) Cheque Truncation
(2) Cheque Embossing
(3) Cheque Standardization
(4) Cheque Digitalization
(5) Cheque Clearance
- As per recent guidelines issued by the Reserve Bank of India, how much will a customer have to pay for checking account balance at a white label ATM?
(1) Rs. 1
(2) Rs. 2
(3) Rs. 5
(4) Rs. 10
(5) Rs. 20
- A segment of the financial market in which financial instruments with high liquidity and very short maturities are traded is known as
(1) Money Market
(2) Stock Market
(3) Derivative Market
(4) Equity Market
(5) Mutual Fund Market
- Which state legislature of India recently announced to go paperless with funding from the World Bank?
(2) Andhra Pradesh
(4) Uttar Pradesh
- Which US city recently filed for Chapter 9, Title 11 of the United States Code bankruptcy protection?
(3) New York
- To which category of banking sector does SIFO, which was in the recent news, belong?
(1) Regional Rural Bank
(2) Scheduled Commercial Bank
(3) Non-Banking Financial Company
(4) Residuary Non-Banking Company
(5) Non-Banking Foreign Investor
- In order to reflect a bank’s actual financial health in its balance sheet with respect to Non Performing Assets (NPAs), the Reserve Bank of India has introduced prudential norms in a phased manner. This has been done in accordance with the recommendations of
(1) Jalan Committee
(2) Ahluwalia Committee
(3) Narasimham Committee
(4) Reddy Committee
(5) Shome Committee
- Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) Suraksha Yojana, which was in recent news, is a group accident insurance scheme for
(5) Handicapped People
- The Employee Unique Identification Number (EUIN) is not applicable to
(1) Registration of Systematic Withdrawal Plan
(3) Registration of Systematic Investment Plan
(5) Registration of Systematic Transfer
- The government recently red-flagged over 250 dubious banking transactions. Most of such transactions are related to
(1) Money laundering
(2) Ponzi Schemes
(3) Social Schemes
(4) Insider Trading
(5) Both 1 and 4
- Who, among the following, is the author of ‘Ignited Minds’?
(1) Manmohan Singh
(2) Poornima Advani
(3) Jaswant Singh
(4) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
(5) Shanta Sinha