- Which Indian shuttler was appointed a member of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Athletes' Commission?
(a) Saina Nehwal
(b) PV Sindhu
(c) K Srikanth
(d) HS Prannoy
- The UN General Assembly has appointed Antonio Guterres the new secretary general of the United Nations, replacing Ban Ki-moon. Guterres is the foriner Prime Minister of which of the following countries?
- Global soccer governing body FIFA has appointed whom of the following its first ever Chief Women's Football Officer?
(a) Samantha Brown
(b) Sarai Bareman
(c) Stephanie Knott
(d) Jessica Nelson
- Who has won the Nobel Medicine Prize for his work on autophagy......... a process whereby cells "eat
themselves" winch when disrupted can cause Parkinson's and diabetes?
(a) David Thouless
(b) Duncan Haldane
(c) Michael Kosterlitz
- Who won the men's and women's singles respectively at the China Open Tennis Tournament 2016?
(a) Novak Djokovic and Serena Williams
(b) Andy Murray and Agnieszka Radwanska
(c) Roger Fe derer and Simona Halep
(d) Rafael Nadal and Garbirie Muguruza
- Which country has commissioned its largest, most expensive and technologically advanced destroyernamed after Adm Elmo R "Bud" Zumwalt, a Bronze Star winner from World War II?
- Which country's leftist rebel force FARC signed a historic peace accord with the government to end a half-century war that killed a quarter of a million people?
- Which of the following countries has recently moved nuclear-capable Iskander-M missiles into the Kaliningrad enclave bordering Poland and Lithuania?
- Which British-born scientist was awarded this year's Nobel Prize in physics for revealing unusual states of matter, leading to advances in electronics and development on future quantum computers?
(a) David Thouless
(b) Duncan Haldane
(c) Michael Kosterlitz
(d) All of the above
- Which of the following is not included in Baltic states?
- Paving the way for the automatic exchange of tax information with India and other nations, Which country has recently ratified the multilateral convention on administrative assistance in taxation matters?
- Which of the following has become the first country in the world to ban disposable plastic cups and plates?
- Who has been appointed the next Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)?
(a) Sushil Chandra
(b) Reena Kapoor
(c) Rajendra Mehra
(d) Tarun Dutta
- Which West Asian country's ruler has dissolved parliament by royal decree over unspecified security concerns as low oil prices squeeze government coffers, setting the stage for early elections?
- Which country has suspended cooperation with UNESCO, after the , UN cultural body passed a resolution that sharply criticised its policies around al-Aqsa Mosque compound?
(d) Saudi Arabia
- Which of the following scientists won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for developing the world's smallest machines -1,000 times thinner than a human hair -that may one day act as artificial muscles to power tiny robots or even prosthetic limbs?
(a) Jean-Pierre Sauvage
(b) Fraser Stoddart
(c) Bernard Ben Feringa
(d) All of the above
- Which muslim country has recently switched to the "Western" Gregorian calendar to pay its civil servants in one of a number of financial reforms announced by the council of ministers
(a) Saudi Arabia
- Which country has appointed Luo Zhaohui, a senior diplomat, it's new ambassador to India?
- Which country has withdrawn from the Commonwealth, accusing it of interfering in domestic affairs and "unfair and unjust" treatment?
(c) The Maldives
- Who has won Japan Open Tennis Tournament, beating Belgium's David Goffin 4-6, 6-3, 7-5?
(a) Rohan Bopanna
(b) Stan Wawrinka
(c) G. Simon
(d) Nick Kyrgios
- In a historic move, Which South Asian country's parliament has passed a bill to enable the country's minority Hindu community to register their marriages?
(a) Sri Lanka
- Which country s developing the world's smallest nuclear power plant which could be installed in one of the islands in the disputed South China Sea to supply power to households
- Which country's president Juan Manuel Santos has won the Nobel Peace Prize 2016?
(d) South Korea
- Which country has blocked a tributary of Brahmaputra, Xiabuqu, as part of its most expensive hydro project Lalho?
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has recently signed loans and investment deals with which of the following worth about $20 billion, seeking to increase Beijing's influence in a country closely allied to India?
- Who defeated Richard Gasquet to retain the Shenzhen Open title?
(a) K. Edmund
(b) G. Simon
(c) Tomas Berdych
(d) S. Wawrinka
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has approved a law ratifying Moscow's deal with which of the following countries to deploy its forces in the country indefinitely, in a move seen as firming their long-term presence?
(c) North Korea
- President Barack Obama has lifted US economic sanctions on which of the Southeast Asian nation?
- Finland has signed a bilateral defense cooperation pact with which country, pledging closer military collaboration at the time when the Nordic country is increasingly concerned over Russia's activities in the Baltic Sea region?
(a) United Kingdom
(c) United States
(d) South Korea
- Who beat Dominika Cibulkova 6-1, 6-1 in 62 minutes to win the title at Wuhan Open 2016?
(a) Caroline Wozniacki
(b) Kiki Bertens
(c) Roberta Vinci
(d) Petra Kvitova
- Who won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for the contributions to contract theory, shedding light on how contracts help people deal with conflicting interests?
(a) Oliver Hart
(b) Bengt Holmstrom
(c) Gary Hamel
(d) Both a and b
- Which American singer and songwriter won the Nobel Prize for literature for 2016 for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition?
(a) Randy Newman
(b) Bob Dylan
(c) James Taylor
(d) Bruce Springsteen
- Kersti Kaljulaid was elected the first female President of which country?
(d) Czech Republic
- Which Indian badminton player clinched the men's singles title at the Chinese Taipei Open after defeating Malaysia's Daren Liew in the summit clash in Taipei City?
(a) Parupalli Kashyap
(b) Kidambi Srikanth
(c) Sourabh Verma
(d) Sai Praneeth
- Russia has suspended a treaty with which country on cleaning up weapons-grade Plutonium?
- Cuba has signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of peaceful atomic energy with which one of the following countries?
- 8th BRIGS Summit was held at Benaulim in October 2016. Benaulim is situated in which country?
(a) China (Sichuan)
(b) Russia (Altai)
(c) India (Goa)
(d) Brazil (Sao Paulo)
- Which eminent writer was selected for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award 2016 in recognition of his contribution to the field of literature?
(a) UK Kumaran
(b) C Radhakrishnan
(c) MTV Nair
(d) NS Madhavan
- First BRICS- BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) outreach meet was held in Goa recently. Which of the following is not a member of BIMSTEC ?
- 196 countries, including India, signed a deal aims to substantially reduce the use of the super greenhouse gses, hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), by the middle of this century in Kigali. Kigali is the capital and largest city ofwhich country?
- The First World Tsunami Awareness Day was celebrated on which day?
(a) November 5
(b) November 6
(c) November 7
(d) November 8
- President Pranab Mukherjee presented the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship (Akademi Ratna), the most prestigious and rare honour which is restricted to 40 numbers at any given time, to whom of the following?
(a) C V Chandrasekhar
(b) Ranganayaki Jayaraman
(c) G Padmaja Reddy
(d) W Lokendrajit Singh
- India formally joined the Paris Agreement on climate change by submitting its instrument of ratification to the United Nations in New York on which date?
(a) October 1, 2016
(b) October 2, 2016
(c) October 3, 2016
(d) October 4, 2016
- The 19th SAARC Summit 2016, which was to be held in Islamabad,was postponed recently. Which was the first S AARC summit to be postponed ?
(a) 4th SAARC Summit, Islambad, 1988
(b) 8th SAARC Summit, New Delhi, 1995
(c) 13th SAARC Summit, Dhaka, 2005
(d) 16th SAARC Summit, Thimphu, 2010
- Which Indian shuttlers won women's singles event at the Russian Open Grand Prix, beating local favourite Evgeniya Kosetskaya in a 26-minute contest?
(a) PV Sindhu
(b) Saina Nehwal
(c) N Sikki Reddy
(d) Ruthvika Shivani Gadde
- Which financial markets expert has taken charge as Chairperson of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI)?
(a) MS Sahoo
(b) Rakesh Kothari
(c) Dinesh Prakash
(d) Rahul Chandra
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) agreed to cut its oil output for the first time since 2008 by nearly a million barrels a day. How many countries are the member of OPEC?
- Which multi-Country bloc has recently adopted the 'New Delhi Declaration on 'Education' resolving to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote life-long learning opportunities for all ?
- At which place was India ranked among 118 developing countries in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2016, released by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)?
- Who won the Japanese Grand Prix 2016 to extend his lead over world champion Lewis Hamilton in the Formula One title race this year?
(a) Daniel Ricciardo
(b) Kimi Raikkonen
(c) Sebastian Vettel
(d) Nico Rosberg
- Which country imported record volumes of crude oil in September 2016, eclipsing the United States as the world's top buyer of foreign oil ?
- What is the venue of the 22nd United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)conference 2016?
(a) Kigali in Rwanda
(b) Juba in South Sudan
(c) Marrakesh in Morocco
(d) Cairo in Egypt
- Which Telugu author and eminent scholar was honoured with the 29th Moortidevi Award 2015 for his novel 'Ananta Jeevanam'?
(a) Katti Padma Rao
(b) Tanikella Bharani
(c) J Bhagyalakshmi
(d) Kolakaluri Enoch
- Who won the British Masters Golf Tournament 2016, securing his third European Tour title of the season?
(a) Alex Noren
(b) Phil Mickelson
(c) Rory Mcllroy
(d) Jordan Spieth
- The 17th India-Russia summit was held at which place?
(a) Benaulim in Goa
(b) Noida in Uttar Pradesh
(c) Kochi in Kerala
(d) Patna in Bihar
- Which Indiaft-origin investment veteran was appointed by Harvard the CEO of the management company that oversees the university's $36 billion endowment, the largest college endowment in the world?
(a) Nilesh Mishra
(b) NR Ramaswamy
(c) NP Narvekar
(d) Rhul Khullar
- Which Indian golfer finished second in the Venetian Macao Open Golf Tournament 2016, won by Thai Pavit Tangkamolprasert?
(a) Arjun Atwal
(b) Jeev Milkha Singh
(c) Anirban Lahiri
(d) Gaganjeet Bhullar
- A consortium comprising Russian energy giant Rosneft, commodities trader Trafigura, and Russian fund United Capital Partners (UCP) has announced the acquisition of 98 % stake in which Indian oil company for $12.9 billion, the largest-ever single foreign direct investment in India?
(a) Essar Oil
- Who will be the chief guest for Indian Republic Day celebrations next year?
(a) Abdelaziz Bouteflika
(b) Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed AlNahyan
(c) Jose Eduardo Dos Santos
(d) Nursultan Nazarbayev
- There are some media reports that India may revoke the 56-year-old Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) with Pakistan which outlines how the waters of six rivers (Beas, Ravi, Sutlej, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum) are to be shared between the two countries. It was signed in which yea 1r?
- India has inked pacts with which country to acquire advanced air defence S-400 Triumf missile systems, stealth frigates and to jointly produce light-utility helicopters?
- India and China at the 4th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue agreed to cooperate on many issues. Which one of the following was not included in the discussion?
(a) Sourcing energy from international markets
(b) Construction of high-speed railway
(c) Development of coastal manufacturing zones
(d) Cooperation in nuclear reactor manufacturing
- Shaking off three consecutive defeats, the United States recaptured the Ryder Cup, ripping Europe 17-11 for their most decisive triumph since 1981 in the biennial showdown. Ryder Cup is related to which sports?
- India, China hold 1st high-level dialogue on Counter-terrorism and Security in which city?
(a) New Delhi
- Which music director, who is best known for his work in Bollywood, was awarded the `Lata Mangeshkar Award for Lifetime Achievement' instituted by the Maharashtra government?
(b) Uttam Singh
(c) Annu Malik
- Which country's premier domestic tournament, the Inter-Provincial Championship, was accorded
first-class status by the International Cricket Council (ICC)?
- India has signed three agreements, including two in the area of skill development and one in the field of industrial property cooperation, with which of the following countries?
- India granted Pakistan Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status in which year?
- Japanese telecom and internet giant SoftBank's founder Masayoshi Son has announced to appoint which Indian to head a massive $100-billion global technology fund?
(a) Rajeev Misra
(b) Rajeev Mehra
(c) Rajeev Goswami
(d) Rajeev Lal
- The $10-billion RDIF, a sovereign wealth fund of which country, sign an agreement with India's National Investment and In frastructure Fund (NIIF) to create a $1-billion corpus?
- Which Indian golfer won Shinhan Donghae Open 2016, recording his sixth triumph on the Asian?
(a) Anirban Lahiri
(b) Gaganjeet Bhullar
(c) Arjun Atwal
(d) Jeev Milkha Singh
- Who was elected the now Chairman of the Press Trust India (PTI)?
(a) Riyad Mathew
(b) Viveck Goenka
(c) R Lakshmipathy
(d) Viveck Goenka
- The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has rejected a suit filed by which country against the world's nuclear powers, including India, that sought to force them to do more to disarm?
(a) Vatican City
(c) Marshall Islands
- The headquarter of UN specialized agency International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) is situated in which city?
(d) New York
- Which Indian film-maker and elephant researcher was honored with Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Write (Knight in the National Order of Merit), one of the highest civilian recognitions of the French government?
(a) Pooja Mehta
(b) Prajna Chowta
(c) Ritika Deswal
(d) Rohini Sadana
- The Union Cabinet has approved the estabaslishment and operation of an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) in which of the following cities at a cost of nearly
- Which Indian player has won the Under-16 girls' chess crown at the FIDE World Youth Championships in Khanty Mansiysk, Russia?
(a) Aakanksha Hagawane
(b) Koneru Humpy
(c) Tania Sachdev
(d) D. Harika
- The Union Cabinet has approved signing of an MoU with the European Union to enhance the country's capabilities in the management of which natural resource ?
- A government expert panel, constituted to look for the existence of the river Saraswati, has submitted its report, claiming that the river did actually exist in ancient times. Who was the head of the panel?
(a) KS Valdiya
(b) Ramesh Kulkarani
(c) Radha Kumar
(d) Suresh Kapoor
- Which Indian airport has become Asia-Pacific's first airport to achieve a "carbon neutral" status?
(a) Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport
(b) Kempegowda International Airport
(c) Indira Gandhi International Airport
(d) Veer Savarkar International Airport
- Which Indian-American associate professor at Lamar University in Texas, was named to the 2016 class of the Jerger Future Leaders of Audiology' by the American Academy of Audiology?
(a) Vinay Krishanan Shetty
(b) Rajendra K Jha
(c) Arvind Chopra
(d) Vinaya Manchaiah
- Who hasbeco me the first Indian to sign a professional contract with a top-tier Spanish football club after signing a one-year deal with Club Deportivo Leganes?
(a) Rakesh Kumar
(b) Ishan Pandita
(c) Dipak Chautala
(d) Robin Singh
- Which of the following has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene?
- Jim Yong Kim was unanimously re-appointed for a second five-year term as the President of which of the following global body?
(a) World Bank
- Maharashtra cabinet has approved 40 hectares of land in which district for setting up the Laser Inferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) to observe gravitation waves?
- Which team has won the 1st BRICS U-17 Football Tournament 2016, defeating South Africa 5-1?
- Which former chairman of ISRO was inducted into the 2016 IAF Hall of Fame by the International Aeronautical Federation (IAF) during the closing ceremony of the IAF Congress 2016 held at Guadalajara, Mexico?
(a) G. Madhavan Nair
(b) K. Kasturiraegan
(c) K. Radhakrishnan
(d) Prof U R Rao
- Which Indian shooter has clinched a silver medal in the men's 50m pistol event at the ISSF World Cup in Bologna (Italy)?
(a) Vijay Kumar
(b) Jitu Rai
(c) Ronjan Sodhi
(d) Gagan Narang
- Which of the following has been declared the first Indian city with a population of one million or more to be declared free of open defecation?
- Oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan has recently launched National Seismic Programme to trace
hydrocarbon resources like oil and natural gas in the basin of which river of Odisha?
- Former Israeli president and elder statesman Shimon Peres, a joint winner of the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize, died recently. He shared the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize with whom for reaching an interim peace deal in 1993, the Oslo Accords?
(a) Yitzhak Rabin
(b) Yasser Arafat
(c) Nelson Mandela
(d) Both a and b
- Solar power installations in the country have reached 8,643MW, driven by four states which have crossed the 1gw solar installation mark. Besides Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan and Gujarat, which one is the 4th state, mentioned above?
(c) Andhra Pradesh
- Who has become only the second Indian table tennis player to win an ITTF event after winning the men's singles title of the Belgium Open?
(a) Sathiyan Gnanasekaran
(b) Achanta Sharath Kamal
(c) Sanil Shankar Shetty
(d) Soumyajit Ghosh
- In the first M&A transaction in the insurance broking space after relaxation of FDI norms, JLT (Jardine Lloyd Thomson) group has hiked stake in its Indian joint venture JLT Independent to 49% from 26%. JLT belongs to which country?
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian skipper to score two double tons in test matches. He achieved this feat while playing against which country?
(c) New Zealand
- Which of the following has become the first bank in India to carry out overseas transactions............
which typically take a few days................. in a few minutes via blockchain?
- Which Indian bank has announced its entry into Myanmar by opening a branch in the capital city of Yangon, becoming the first domestic lender to do so?
- Prime Minster Narendra Modi has inaugurated which of the following hydropower projects in Himachal Pradesh?
(a) NTPC's 800MW Koldam Hydro Project
(b) NHPC's 540MW Parbati Stage-III Project
(c) SVNL's 412MW Rampur Project
(d) All of the above
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently launched the National SC/ST Hub in which city of Runjab to provide support to entrepreneurs from the community?
- Which country won 4th men's Under-18 Asia Cup hockey tournament 2016?