Current Affairs Test – July 2017
- Which of the following hosted the 106th Session of International Labour Conference (ILC) in June 2017?
- Aiming to initiate development in the country’s education and healthcare sectors, the NITI Aayog launched the ‘SATH’ program. ‘S’ in SATH is :
- In a bid to offer affordable educational opportunities to weaving communities, the Ministry of Textiles (MoT) has decided to subsidise the education of all weavers enrolled in which of the following ?
(a) Kendriya Vidyalayas (ICVs)
(b) Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs)
(c) National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)
(d) National Institutes of Fashion Technology (NIFTs)
- Which of the following was launched by the government to make legal aid easily accessible to the marginalised communities and citizens living in rural areas ?
- Nag missile was successfully flight tested on June 13, 2017. It has been designed to destroy which of the following ?
- Sujata Prasad was in news for her book on who among the following well-known dancers ?
(a) Birju Maharaj
(b) Sonal Mansingh
(c) Mallika Sarabhai
(d) Sanjukta Panigrahi
- Who among the following former NDA Ministers is the author of ‘Two Saints: Speculations Around and About Ramakrishna Paramhansa and Ramana Maharishi’ released recently ?
(a) L. K. Advani
(b) Arun Shourie
(c) Shanta Kumar
(d) Yashwant Sinha
- Who among the following former Chief Justices of India died in New Delhi on June 15, 2017 at the age of 95?
(a) J. S. Verma
(b) V. N. Khare
(c) R. C. Lahoti
(d) P. N. Bhagwati
- Which of the following was launched by the Health and Family Welfare Ministry to reduce child deaths ?
(a) Intensified Diphtheria Control Fortnipt
(b) Intensified Pneumonia Control Fortnight
(c) Intensified Diarrhoea Control Fortnight
(d) Intensified Swine flu Control Fortnight
- The Ministry of Culture announced the National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India programme for selecting the best artistes in a minimum of 100 genres. The national winner in each genre will have to share how much of his Rs. 10 lakh prize money with his Guru ?
(a) Rs. 1 lakh
(b) Rs. 2 lakh
(c) Rs. 3 lakh
(d) Rs. 4 lakh
- Indian NGO Sahapedia has launched a fellowship programme on Indian arts in partnership with which of the following to encourage documentation of India’s rich cultural heritage?
- Neeru Chadha was elected as the first Indian woman member of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS). ITLOS is based at :
- Switzerland has agreed to share details about suspected black money deposits in its banks with India and 40 other jurisdictionsfrom 2019. AEOI is Exchange of Information.
- Which of the following has agreed to release funds for India’s school education sector as part of its efforts to back schemes such as the Satva Shiksha Abhiyan and the Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) ?
(a) Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
(c) Department for International Development (UK)
(d) European Union
- India signed MoU to be co-partner in the annual ANUGA event organised in Germany in October. The event is related to which of the following sectors ?
(a) Consumer Electronics
- India participated in bilateral maritime exercise at Freemantle with which country’s navy in June 2017?
(b) United States
- India’s CSIR entered into anagreement with the Industries Development Institute of Ethiopia for collaboration in research.
- The Nalanda University signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Academy of…………. Studies in Patna for academic cooperation.
- India signed a “white shipping” agreement with which of the following to improve data sharing on non-classified merchant navy ships or cargo ships”
(b) United States
(d) United Kingdom
- India signed a pact to institutionalize cooperation between with Parliament of which of the following during Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan’s visit to that country?
- Who among the following was appointed as India’s next Ambassador to the European Union (EU) ?
(a) Manpreet Vohra
(b) Gaitri Issar Kumar
(c) Reenat Sandhu
(d) Ajit Vinayak Gupte
- India obtained 183 votes, the second highest after Japan in the Asia Pacific category, for election to fill the 18 vacancies in which of the following ?
- A study by UK-based Money Super Market ranked India 75th in terms of global environmental impact. -Which African nation was ranked first ?
- Annual meeting of which of the following was organised in Jeju, South Korea in June 2017?
(a) World Bank
(b) BRICS Bank
(c) Asian Development Bank
(d) Asian InfrastructureInvestment Bank
- Which of the following ended diplomatic ties with Taiwan and established relations with China ?
- The United Nations switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to the People’s Republic of China in which year ?
- The ‘One Family at a Time’ study, released recently, revealed that India became the top remittance-receiving country surpassing China in 2016. The study was conducted by which of the following?
(a) Food and agriculture organisation (FAO)
(b) International Food PolicyResearch Institute (IFPRI)
(c) World Health Organisation (WHO)
(d) International Fund for Agriculture Development(IFAD)
- A recent referendum in Puerto Rico decided to continue the island’s status as a state of the United States. What is the Capital of Puerto Rico ?
(a) San Juan
(b) San Jose
(c) San Marino
(d) Santo Domingo
- Which of the following has decided to set up ‘Order of August 1’ as its highest military award ?
- The United Nations……………… Conference was organised in New York from June 5 to 9, 2017.
- The 193-member GeneralAssembly adopted a consensus resolution creating ,the UnitedNations Office of …………..that will be headed by anUnder-Secretary-General.
(c) Small Industries
- World Day to combat desertification and Drought is observed on which date ?
(a) June 14
(b) June 15
(c) June 16
(d) June 17
- Leo Varadkar became the youngest Prime Minister of Ireland. Parliament in Ireland is called :
- NITI Aayog has announced the setting up of which of the following in schools across the country to foster a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship?
(a) Atal Tinkering Labs
(b) Saha Tinkering Labs
(c) Raman Tinkering Labs
(d) Deendayal Tinkering Labs
- Who among the following won the 2017 Man Booker International Prize for the year’s best fiction in translation “A Horse Walks Into a Bar” ?
(a) Dorthe Nors
(b) Roy Jacobsen
(c) Mathias Enard
(d) David Grossman
- Who among the following India-born and US-based scientists is the winner of the 2017 Marconi Prize for his pioneering work in digital video technology?
(a) Abraham Verghese
(b) Arun Netravali
(c) Dinesh Bharadia
(d) Ramesh Raskar
- Who among the following won the Dorothy Arzner Directors Award in Los Angeles?
(a) Mira Nair
(b) Zoya Akhtar
(c) Deepa Mehta
(d) Anjali Menon
- The fifth Bhupen Hazarika National Award, 2017 was conferred on eminent writer Yeshe Dorjee Thongshi. The award is given by which NGO?
- Poet and playwright H. S. Shivaprakash was presented the prestigious ‘Kusumagraja Rashtriya Puraskar’. He’ writes in which language ?
- Who among the following Bengali actors was conferred with the highest French civilian honour, the Legion d’Honneur recently?
(a) Tapas Paul
(b) Parambrata Chatterjee
(c) Victor Banerjee
(d) Soumitra Chatterjee
- Which of the following award was given to filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar by the NRI community of USA in New York?
(a) Bharat Gaurav Award
(b) Bharat Jyoti Award
(c) Bharat Samman Award
(d) Bharat Kala Award
- According to a revenue department notification, quoting of Aadhaar has been made mandatory for any financial transaction of……………… and above.
- Small Accounts can be opened by people who do not have documents to support bank’s KYC requirements. Balance in such accounts at any point of time should not exceed :
- The Cabinet has approved the introduction of the Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill, 2017 (FRDI), in Parliament. The bill envisages the setting up of which of the following?
(a) Recovery Corporation
(b) Solvency Corporation
(c) Valuation Corporation
(d) Resolution Corporation
- Under the interest subvention scheme for 2017-18, approved by the Cabinet, farmers who repay their short-term crop loans on time will have to pay an interest of
(a) 3 percent
(b) 4 percent
(c) 5 percent
(d) 6 percent
- Which of the following is the only public sector bank to get high Code Compliance Rating of banks from the Banking Codes and Standards Board of India (BCSBI) recently ?
(a) Central Bank of India
(b) Dena Bank
(c) IDBI Bank
(d) Indian Overseas Bank
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) appointed one of its officials as administrator for managing the affairs of which of the following ?
(a) IDBI Federal Life
(b) Future India Life
(c) Bajaj Allianz Life
(d) Sahara Life
- What is India’s rank among 127 economies in the Global Innovation Index 2017, released by the WIPO, INSEAD and Cornell University ?
- PSU oil firms IOC, I3PCL and HPCL signed an agreement to jointly set up the world’s largest refinery and petrochemical complex at district of Maharashtra.
- Which multinational Petroleum Company and its joint venture partner Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) unveiled investment plans for improving gas output from the Krishna Godavari basin ?
(c) Exxon Mobil
(d) BP Plc
- Which of the following launched first of its kind ATM in Hyderabad that will not require a debit card to dispense cash ? The machine will instead verify the customer’s Aadhar card details including the iris and the fingerprint of the customer.
(a) Yes Bank
(b) Axis Bank
(c) DCB Bank
(d) Federal Bank
- The Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) laid the foundation stone for setting up Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery (IIGJ) in which place in Karnataka ?
- Which paramilitary force has launched a toll free helpline called `MADADGAAR’ for the Kashmiris ?
- Women in which state would now have to pay only one rupee stamp duty for registration of land/property valued up to 50lakh ?
(d) Uttar Pradesh
- Which is the top-ranked Indian institution in the ‘QS World University Rankings 2017’ released recently?
(a) IISc Bangalore
(b) IIT Bombay
(c) IIT Kanpur
(d) IIT Delhi
- The government has decided to appoint which of the following to expedite the cases pending in lower courts ?
(a) Nyaya Saathi
(b) Nyaya Mitra
(c) Nyaya Bandhu
(d) Nyaya Dost
- Who among the following is the Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority ?
(a) Justice Deepak Misra
(b) Justice J. Chelameswar
(c) Justice Kurian Joseph
(d) Justice Madan B. Lokur
- Two villages in which state have been adopted by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry as Ganga Grams ?
(b) West Bengal
(d) Madhya Pradesh
- India successfully test fired QR-SAM from a truck-mounted canister launcher on June 4, 2017. ‘Q’ in QR-SAM stands for :
- Which of the following statements are correct regarding the presidential election in India ?
I. Elected members of both Houses of Parliament and Legislative Assemblies of the States/UTs are eligible to vote
II. Provisions of the Anti-Defection Law are not applicable in Presidential elections
III. Nominated members of both Houses of Parliament and Legislative Assemblies of the States/UTs are eligible to vote
(a) I only
(b) I and II only
(c) II only
(d) III and I only
- Who among the following was the only President to have been declared elected without a contest ?
(a) Fakhruddin All Ahmed
(b) Zakir Hussain
(c) K.R. Narayanan
(d) Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy
- Who among the following Naga insurgent leaders died at the age of 77 on June 9, 2017 at a location on the India-Myanmar border ?
(a) T. Muivah
(b) Isak Chishi Swu
(c) Khole Konyak
(d) S.S. Khaplang
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has been set up to replace which of the following for purchase of goods and services by government departments ?
- Who among the following journalists is the author of ‘The Accidental Prime Minister: The Making and Unmaking of ,Manmohan Singh’?
(a) Vinod Dua
(b) Shekhar Gupta
(c) Sanjaya Baru
(d) Harish Khare
- ‘Which of the following was launched by India at the UN in June to help the poorest countries achieve the world organisation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) ?
(a) India-UN MillenniumPartnership Fund
(b) India-UN DevelopmentPartnership Fund
(c) India-UN GrassrootsPartnership Fund
(d) India-UN ResurgentPartnership Fund
- The Sri Lankan government announced plans to set up Sinhala language teaching cell at which of the following Indian universities?
(a) Jadavpur University
(b) University of Hyderabad
(c) Banaras Hindu University
(d) Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Which Central Asian capital hosted the Heads of State Summit of theShanghai CooperationOrganization (SCO) countries in June 2017 ?
- India and Pakistan became full members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO). The Secretariat of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is based at :
- Which of the following hosted the 2nd Mission Innovation and Clean Energy Ministerial ?
- Which was the second largest party’ behind Conservative Party in the United Kingdom general election 2017 ?
(a) Labour Party
(b) Scottish National Party
(c) Liberal Democratic Party
(d) Democratic Unionist Party
- Who among the following is the Prime Minister of Qatar ? Many countries including Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt broke diplomatic ties with Qatar.
(a) Qaboos bin Said al Said
(b) Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
(c) Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah
(d) Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani
- Which of the following is not among the five countries elected as non-permanent members of the Un Security Council for a two-year term beginning January 1, 2018 ?
(a) New Zealand
(b) Equatorial Guinea
- Where was the 2017 Shangri-La Dialogue organised by the Institute of International Strategic Studies (IISS) ?
(b) Hong Kong
- Which of the following elected Pakistan the Chairperson its Executive Board ?
- Which of the following announced to set up $1 million BRIGS Media Fund to support journalists of the member countries ?
(b) SA News
(c) RIA Novosti
(d) Agencia Brasil
- Which province of Spain has decided to hold a referendum forindependence on October 1?
- Consider the following statements on Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Regulation of Livestock Markets) Rules 2017.
I. Cattle cannot be bought for slaughter
II. Cattle cannot be bought for slaughter from animal markets
III. Cattle can be bought for slaughter from the farmers at the farms
Which of the above is/are correct?
(a) I only
(b) I and II only
(c) II and III only
(d) III only
- What is the strike range of the Prithvi-II missile that was successfully test-fired on June 2, 2017?
(a) 150 km
(b) 350 km
(c) 550 km
(d) 750 km
- Navy’s Khanderi submarine sailed out for its maiden sea sortie on June 1, 2017. It is a submarine of which class ?
- Defence Minister Arun Jaitley inaugurated the newly built Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) of DRDO in which state ?
(b) Andhra Pradesh
- Which are the two hydrographic survey and inspection vessels launched by Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) for the Haldia-Allahabad stretch of National Waterway-1?
(a) SL Godavari and SL Sindhu
(b) SL Ganga and SL Jhanvi
(c) SL Krishna and SL Pratibha
(d) SL Brahmaputra and SL Santa
- Which of the following is related to disappearance of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose in 1945?
(a) Justice M. G. Sikri Commission
(b) Justice G.D. KhoslaCommission
(c) Justice T. S. SenguptaCommission
(d) Justice V. N. MalimathCommission
- World No Tobacco Day is observed on ………….
(a) May 27
(b) May 28
(c) May 29
(d) May 31
- Who among the following Ministers has won the ‘Director General’s Special Recognition Award’ given by The World health organisation (WHO) for accelerating India’s tobacco control initiatives ?
(a) Maneka Gandhi
(b) Smriti Irani
(c) Rajnath Singh
(d) Jagat Prasad Nadda
- Who among the following is the author of ‘Dialogue of the Deaf: The Government and the RBI’ released recently ?
(a) Nitin Desai(b) Kaushik Basu
(c) Rajeev Malhotra
(d) Raghuram Rajan
- Who, among the following is the author of ‘Lone Fox Dancing: My Autobiography’ released recently ?(a) Amish Tripathi
(b) Chetan Bhagat
(c) Kiran Nagarkar
(d) Ruskin Bond
- Who among the following was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Prasar Bharati ?
(a) Sunil Singhi
(b) George Kurian
(c) Sulekha Kumbhare
(d) Shashi Shekar Vempati
- Who among the following was appointed as the Chairman of the national Commission for scheduled Castes (NCSC) ?
(a) Mohanbhai Kundaria
(b) Sanwar Lal Jat
(c) Ram Shankar Katheria
(d) Mansukh Bhai Vasava
- Manipur Governor Najma Heptulla was appointed as the Chancellor of which university ?
(a) Jamia Millia Islamia University
(b) Aligarh Muslim University
(c) Maulana Azad National Urdu University
(d) Osmania University
- NPCIL and ROSATOM signed agreement for construction of Units 5 and 6 of the Kudankulam nuclear plant during PM Modi’s recent visit to Russia. Who among the following is the CMD of Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) ?
(a) Sekhar Basu
(b) Ratan Kumar Sinha
(c) Srikumar Bannerjee
(d) Satish Kumar Sharma
- Which of the following is a member of the five-nation Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) ?
- Who among the following is the Prime Minister of Spain, a country visited by PM Modi in May 2017?(a) Rodrigo Rato
(b) Javier Arenas
(c) Angel Acebes
(d) Mariano Rajoy
- Government-run Prasar Bharati got into an agreement with Societe Nationale de Radiodiffusion et de Television (SNRT) to step up cooperation in the broadcasting sector. SNRT is the government media organisation in which country?
- India is supporting the National Coast Guard (NCG) of Mauritius in augmenting its capacity through which of the following?
(a) Project Spear
(b) Project Hammer
(c) Project Arrow
(d) Project Trident
- Who among the following Indian woman lawyers was selected by the UN for a fact-finding mission on human rights violations of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar’s Rakhine state ?
(a) Indira Jaising
(b) Pinky Anand
(c) Sheela Murthy
(d) Pramila Nesargi
- Who amongst the following retired Indian diplomats was appointed as a public policy fellow at Washington-based think-tankWilson Centre ?
(a) Shivshankar Menon
(b) Hardeep Singh Puri
(c) Nirupama Rao
(d) Shyam Saran
- Which of the following are the best and the worst ranked countries respectively in the Global Peace Index 2017 of 163 countries produced by the Sydney-based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) ?(a) New Zealand, Iraq
(b) Iceland, Syria
(c) Japan, Afghanistan
(d) Austria, Sudan
- Who among the following was appointed as the next United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) President to lead the 72nd session in september 1?
(a) Robert Fico
(b) Mikulas Dzurinda
(c) Miroslav Lajcak
(d) Robert Fico
- Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO) has developed a grain moisture analyser which will help growers harvest crops at the right time after ensuring correct moisture levels. CSIO is based at :(a) Chandigarh
(b) Greater Noida
- Who among the following UPA Ministers and Congress leader is the author of ‘Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature’ released recently?
(a) Kapil Sibal
(b) Shashi Tharoor
(c) Jairam Ramesh
(d) P. Chidambaram