Ch 3 The Little Girl (NCERT Solutions for Class 9)
Thinking about the Text
- Given below are some emotions that Kezia felt. Match the emotions in Column A with the items in Column B.
A B 1. fear or terror
2. glad sense of relief
3. a “funny” feeling, perhaps
(i) father comes into her room to give her a goodbye kiss
(ii) noise of the carriage grows fainter
(iii) father comes home
(iv) speaking to father
(v) going to bed when alone at home
(vi) father comforts her and falls asleep
vii) father stretched out on the sofa, snoring
- Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. Why was Kezia afraid of her father?
2. Who were the people in Kezia’s family?
3. What was Kezia’s father’s routine
(i) before going to his office?
(ii) after coming back from his office?
(iii) on Sundays?
4. In what ways did Kezia’s grandmother encourage her to get to know her father better?
- Discuss these questions in class with your teacher and then write down your answers in two or three paragraphs each.
1. Kezia’s efforts to please her father resulted in displeasing him very much. How did this happen?
2. Kezia decides that there are “different kinds of fathers”. What kind of father was Mr Macdonald, and how was he different from Kezia’s father?
3. How does Kezia begin to see her father as a human being who needs her sympathy?
Thinking about Language
- Look at the following sentence.
1. Use an appropriate word from the synonyms given above in the
following sentences. Clues are given in brackets.
(i) She was ………………. by the news of her brother’s wedding. (very pleased)
(ii) I was………. to be invited to the party. (extremely pleased and excited about)
(iii) She was…………. at the birth of her granddaughter. (extremely happy)
(iv) The coach was …………… with his performance. (satisfied about)
(v) She was very ………….. with her results. (happy about something that has happened).
- Study the use of the word big in the following sentence.
He was so big − his hands and his neck, especially his mouth… Here, big means large in size.
Now, consult a dictionary and find out the meaning of big in the following sentences. The first one has been done for you.
(i) You are a big girl now. older
(ii) Today you are going to take the biggest decision of your career.______
(iii) Their project is full of big ideas. _________
(iv) Cricket is a big game in our country. _________
(v) I am a big fan of Lata Mangeskar. __________
(vi) You have to cook a bit more as my friend is a big eater.________
(vii) What a big heart you’ve got, Father dear._________
Verbs of Reporting
- Underline the verbs of reporting in the following sentences.
(i) He says he will enjoy the ride.
(ii) Father mentioned that he was going on a holiday.
(iii) No one told us that the shop was closed.
(iv) He answered that the price would go up.
(v) I wondered why he was screaming.
(vi) Ben told her to wake him up.
(vii) Ratan apologised for coming late to the party.
- Some verbs of reporting are given in the box. Choose the appropriate verbs and fill in the blanks in the following sentences.
were shouted replied complaining remarked ordered suggested(i) “I am not afraid,” ________the woman. .
(ii) “Leave me alone,” my mother_________
(iii) The children_________ that the roads were crowded and noisy.
(iv) “Perhaps he isn’t a bad sort of a chap after all,”_________ the master.
(v) “Let’s go and look at the school ground,” _________the sports teacher.
(vi) The traffic police________ all the passers-by to keep off the road.