The group of words is used together in a specific manner to write or speak a sentence. Every single word in a sentence is given a name i.e. Noun, Pronoun, Verb etc. To understand the sequence of words so that the sentence delivers the correct message, these words are categorized in 8 categories, which are called the “Parts of Speech”.
Overview of 8 Parts of Speech is given below. Click on the name of part of speech to study them in detail.
- Noun: A noun is the name of a person, creature, place or thing.
- Pronoun: A pronoun is a substitute of a noun.
- Verb: Verb is the one, which describes the action or the state of the subject.
- Adjective: Adjectives are the words or the group of words that show the quality of noun/ pronoun or provide some additional information about them. In other words, Adjectives describe a noun or pronoun.
- Adverb: Adverb is the words or a clause (a group of words) that show the quality of verb/ adjective/ another adverb or provide some additional information about them. In other words, An Adverb polishes/ describes a verb, an adjective or another adverb.
- Preposition: Preposition is the word or group of words that is generally placed before a noun or a pronoun to express its relation with other part of the sentence. The noun or pronoun used with the preposition is called its object.
- Conjunction: Conjunction is the word or set of words that connects two words or sentences or used to coordinate words in the same clause. It shortens the sentence without a change in meaning or sense.
- Interjection: Interjection is the word or set of words, which are used to express sudden feelings originated.