- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal today launched initiative to develop Majuli, the world’s largest river island, as the country’s first carbon neutral district and a biodiversity heritage site.
- Majuli is facing existential crisis and therefore initiatives like designating carbon neutral district and biodiversity heritage site are needs of the hour to preserve its rich heritage and legacy.
- Sonowal also launched through remote a registry in Majuli which would record and analyse the climate impact of all proposed projects in the state’s newest district.
- He said the Sustainable Actions for Climate Resilient Development (SaCReD) Initiative would ensure that infrastructure in Majuli had less carbon.
- The chief minister also launched “Forests are Lives” campaign to underline the importance of Assam’s rich forest and biodiversity and urged all to take a pledge to conserve its biodiversity to make the state pollution free.
Quick Question for Bank PO/ IBPS Exams 2016-17:
Which Chief Minister has launched initiative to develop Majuli, the world’s largest river island, as the country’s first carbon neutral district and a biodiversity heritage site?
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.