- IDFC Bank launched the biometric-based Aadhaar Pay payment system
Aadhar Pay service is for merchants which will enable them to receive Aadhaar-enabled payments bypassing credit and debit cards, pin and password.
- The biometric reader is currently available for Rs 2,000.
- With the introduction of first of its kind, the bank targets to bring around 50,000-75,000 merchants onboard by 2019 and total touching 1,00,000 merchants in three year.
- As per the report, the bank has been launched after three-months of trial involving 1500 merchants across 16 states.
Online Current Affairs for 9 Mar, 17
- The Indian duo of-
1. Ravichandran Ashwin and
2. Ravindra Jadeja
on Wednesday became the first set of spinners to be jointly ranked number one in the ICC Test rankings for bowlers.
- Jadeja has caught up with Ashwin in the rankings after the second Test against Australia in Bengaluru which India won by 75 runs on the fourth day.
- Jadeja's seven wickets in the match, which included a crucial six for 63 in the first innings, have helped him move up one rank to reach the top position for the first time in his career.
- In the rankings for Test batsmen, Australia captain Steve Smith has maintained his reign at the top for 77 Tests.
- India's win in the second Test assured them the No.1 spot in the ICC Test Team Rankings on the April 1 cut-off date and a cash prize of $1million.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaia launched a comprehensive web-based platform showcasing the government's performance and achievements to the citizens.
- Developed as the Chief Minister's dash board, 'Pratibimba,' which means reflection, will serve as a tool to improve efficiency in governance and allow citizens to track government's progress.
- 'Pratibimba" is a reflection of the growth story and development of the state, and the dash board will reflect the works of all the departments across flagship schemes, key programmes and projects undertaken in the state.
- The dash board is available both in;
- English and
- Karnataka is the second state in the country after Andhra Pradesh to have such a dash board.
- It will help people across the stateand the country to get a detailed information regarding the steps taken by us in fulfilling our promise of;
- responsible and
- people friendly government
- Europe launched the fifth of its Sentinel Earth observation satellites on Monday as part of its multi-billion-euro Copernicus program to provide speedy images of land, oceans and waterways.
- The Sentinel-2B satellite, part of a system of satellites that is to monitor Earth, blasted off on board a Vega rocket from Europe's spaceport in French Guyana.
- It will join its twin Sentinel-2A, which has been in orbit since 2015, to take high-resolution, color and infrared images for a wide array of environmental initiatives, including crop forecasting and monitoring natural disasters.
- The two satellites will orbit 488 miles (786 km) above Earth, on opposite sides of the planet.
- Together, they will be able to cover all of;
- Earth's land surfaces,
-inland and coastal waterways every five days,
-providing more up-to-date images and at higher resolution than have been available.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Gujarat for a two-day visit.
- During his stay in Gujarat, the PM inaugurated a four-lane bridge over the river Narmada in Bharuch.
- The 1.4-kilometre 'extradosed' cable-stayed bridge is reportedly the longest in the country.
- It is expected to ease traffic woes on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai National Highway, considered to be one of the busiest in India.
- Chandigarh hosted a three-day long ‘Destination North East’ 2017 event, aimed at showcasing North East as a potential destination for investment.
- The event was organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), government of India and an industry body PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- The event saw around table discussions and exhibition stalls showcasing various features of the North East Region in order to attract investments in;
-handlooms and handicrafts,
-entrepreneurship and microfinance, - - -horticulture and floriculture,
-medicinal & aromatic plants,
-organic farming and bamboo development,
- Country's largest lender State Bank of India launched a new facility to enable its employees to work from home.
- The Board of the bank has recently approved the 'Work from Home' policy to enable its employees to work while at home using mobile devices to address any urgent requirement they may have, that prevents their travelling to work.
- The lender will be using mobile computing technologies and shall have continuous control over all the enabled devices centrally to manage and secure the data and applications on the mobile devices.
- The use of technology and services shall be monitored through carefully designed MIS and dashboard to enable improvements and refinements
- A 14-day joint training exercise of the armies of India and Oman began at Bakloh in Himachal Pradesh.
- The exercise, Al Nagah-II, drew contingents comprised of platoon strength troops from both the armies.
- The second edition of the exercise is in continuation of a series of joint exercises between the Indian Army and the Royal Army of Oman.
- The first edition was held at Muscat in 2015.
- To keep pace with technology across the globe, Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) today launched three technology services for the benefit of customers.
1. FASTag: was launched in association with Indian Highways Management Company, a subsidiary of National Highway Authority of India, wherein pre loaded tags affixed to vehicles help them move on without having to join queues at toll plazas and handing cash for payment.
It can be pre-loaded with amounts and the toll amount will automatically be debited by the toll plazas through sensors, he said.
The tags can be reloaded as and when required and tags are valid at all toll plazas throughout the country.
2. United Payments Interface (UPI): is a mobile app that helps customers to transfer funds inter-bank, 24 X 7 through their smartphones, he said.
A single mobile application can access different bank accounts without the customer having to share his bank details or having to remember user IDs and passwords, he said.
The transfer is effected through the Immediate Payment Service platform of NPCI (National Payment Corporation of India).
Supported by the security of two factor;
-payment requests can be initiated by the beneficiary or scheduled by the remitter,
he said adding that the KVB UPI can be downloaded from Android Play Store.
3. Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS), a facility offered through NPCI where in customers can make utility bill payments like;
through a single utility, instead of accessing multiple sites.
- The Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Anil Madhav Dave, launched the web portal for obtaining Coastal Regulation Zone clearances.
- The Minister termed the launch of the portal as a good example of ‘Ease of Doing Business’.
- The Portal is a web-based system for obtaining clearances required from the Ministry under the “Coastal Regulation Zone” (CRZ) by the Project proponents.
- The system will enable the Project proponents and the concerned State/Union Territory bodies like;
1. The State Coastal Zone Management Authorities (SCZMAs) and,
2. Municipal/Town Planning agencies in tracking the status of their proposals.
- The system is based on web architecture, similar to the existing systems in place for according environmental and forest clearances.
- The Portal is a very user-friendly initiative, which enables submission of applications for CRZ clearance in a single-window interface and facilitates quick flow of information related to CRZ clearances.
- The portal allocates a unique identity for each proposal for all future references. It is accessible from any computer with internet facility.