- Eleven Indian women are among the 25 Asian ladies who have won the ‘Women Icons’ award in Singapore for dedicating their lives to social work.
- Women empowerment and childcare remains on the minds of these women, who came from a number of fields for the award organised by Business Excellence & Research Group Pte Ltd and supported by Nanyang Technological University of Singapore.
- Among the award winners last night was Vandana Sharma, who served for a decade in the Indian Armed Forces, broke several stereotypes around ‘Women in Uniform’ and ventured into the corporate world.
- Keeping with her ‘Women Empowerment’ campaign is Revathi Siddharthe Roy, who holds a Masters in Economics degree but drove taxi for 10 months in Mumbai to support her family after her husband died in 2007.
- Roy now runs a training school, Zaffiro Learning, for women to learn to ride two-wheelers and serve as “last mile” delivery person for e-commerce companies.
- Joining in the awards was Dr Srimathy Kesan, who motivates children into Aerospace and Aeronautics subjects at her Chennai-based company, Space Kidz India.
- Kesan draws children to science with the aim of building a pool of scientists in the coming year, saying India’s pool of scientists was depleting as more and more students were opting for engineering or medical studies.
- Other winners were:
1. Dr Aparna Hegde of ARMMAN,
2. Deepshikha Kumar of SpeakIn,
3. Kanika Gupta Shori of Square Global,
4. Minal D’Rozario of Ideosphere,
5. Mini Dwivedi Gopinathan of PlayStreet Specially Abled Educare Trust,
6. Saloni Mardia Kothari of Mtlexs Online,
7. Sonia Kulkarni of Ketchum Sampark PR, and
8. Swati Nathani of Team Pumpkin.
Quick Question for Bank PO/ IBPS Exams 2016-17:
How many Indian women are among the 25 Asian ladies who have won the ‘Women Icons’ award in Singapore for dedicating their lives to social work?